Our team of Harvest Drive Worker Bees sets up 2 boutiques during Thanksgiving. Recipient families have the opportunity to select from gently used donated clothing, toys, books, and household items. Dedicated volunteers work year round to collect and organize quality goods.
Our boutique team is also available to assist families in crisis throughout the year. The consequences of fire, floods and sickness, like hunger are not seasonal.
The Harvest Drive not only provides students with much needed food but also hundreds of new backpacks at the start of the school year. We all remember how exciting it was to start the year with new school supplies. Unfortunately, there are many students in Browarrd County who cannot afford to purchase backpacks and the supplies that the teachers require each year. Working in conjunction with civic organizations and business partners, we are able to provide students with the excitement and the materials necessary to start the school year off successfully.
Our Helping Hands Box Program is a great team building activity that directly and positively impacts the lives of 144 families.
The way it works is as follows:
- The Harvest Drive will order enough staple foods (approximately 40 items per box) to fill 144 boxes to be distributed by school social workers throughout Broward County.
- The food (approximately 10 pallets) and boxes would be delivered to the packing location 1 day prior to packing.
- If your organization would like to collect items to put in these boxes, we suggest toiletries.
- Packing – depending on how many people assist, the process takes about 3-4 hours. 1 hour for prep and 2-3 for packing. (Ideally 15-20 volunteers per hour. More volunteers equates to a shorter packing time.)
- School Board trucks will pick up the packed boxes on the next school day following the packing event. (If we pack on a Wednesday, they will pick up on Thursday. If we pack on a Friday, they will pick up on Monday.)
We need a room large enough to pack in, which has access for pallets to fit through the door. This can be either a ground floor room or one accessed by a large freight elevator. The pallets will be delivered and picked up by forklift or pallet jack.
This program has proven to be a very positive experience for all who have participated!