Thank you for visiting Harvest Drive Florida
The Harvest Drive is a volunteer-driven grassroots program designed to improve the lives of food insecure families in Broward County, Florida. Our 501(c)3 organization starts each school year by providing backpacks and school supplies to nearly 300 students who could not otherwise afford them. Each November, working hand in hand with the Broward County Schools and community partners, we assist more than 2600 families with a week’s worth of groceries and a gift card or perishables to complete their Thanksgiving meal. 500 of these families have the additional opportunity to shop for free for gently worn clothing and shoes, and gently used toys, books, and household items. Our November distributions occur at 14 different Broward school sites and our families are referred by Broward County Schools social workers as well as other reputable agencies like the Boys and Girls Clubs and Firewall Centers.
Hunger and crises are not seasonal. The Harvest Drive works year-round to meet our recipient families’ needs. With the support of grants and our business and community partners, we purchase and pack 40,000 lbs of food into 1000 Harvest Helping Hands food boxes. Our Boutique team collects and organizes year-round in order to be able to assist families on an emergency basis.
We cannot do any of this without our community partners, business partners and the more than 180 public and private schools who participate in the program each year. The funds raised, the food collected and the gently used household items and gently worn clothing made available to our recipient families all go directly back into our local community.
Harvest Drive 2019 was exciting and impactful with more than 3600 families receiving much needed food and household items! Thank you to each and every one of you who gave of your time, energy and funding to reduce the devastating effects of hunger in our community.
This year’s highlights include:
- 450 students received backpacks filled with school supplies – Thank you ARISE Virtual Solutions for your generosity in packing and assisting with distribution of nearly 200 of these backpacks.
- 2600 families received assistance during November with nonperishable groceries and a gift card or perishables to complete their Thanksgiving meal.
- 450 families received gently worn clothing and shoes as well as gently used bedding, household items, books, new toys and more from our Harvest Drive Boutiques during November.
- 100 families have been assisted on an ongoing referral basis throughout the year by our Boutique Team.
- 108 families received 6 filled bags of groceries at our Western High Spring Harvest Drive.
- 864 families in crisis received a 40lb box of non-perishable food from our Helping Hands Box Packings – Thank you Temple Dor Dorim, Ramat Shalom Synagogue, The North Broward Preparatory School, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital and the Florida Panthers for supplying the space and manpower to make these packings possible.
- FUN & FUND Raisers – We held our 3rd Annual Peanut Butter and Jelly Drive at Flossie’s Bar & Grill, our 2nd Annual Bunko Day at Lago Mar Country Club, and another successful Poker Tournament led by Michael Freedland and Bob Harms.
- Celebrated at our 3rd Annual Altruism Awards at Cypress Bay High with the amazing students, staff, administrators, social workers, sponsors and community partners who make the Harvest Drive a success.
Together we positively impacted so many lives and we will do so again in 2020!